The Director People and Culture is responsible for creating a positive employee experience, journey and
work environment from the candidate process through alumni status. This role will support the
development and advancement of policies and programs for talent acquisition and orientation, culture
and engagement, total rewards and wellness, HRIS, employee relations and compliance, health and
safety, learning and development, and community stewardship. The Director will partner and liaise with
leadership to support people and business operations priorities and goals.
Prime functions for Director of People and Culture
Positive Employee Experience and Journey
- Positive Employee Experience and Journey
- Integration of The Penfield Way in all HR processes.
- Contribute to the candidate to employee to alumni experience.
- Foster “Day One” environment in which employees feel appreciated and recognized from day one.
- Drive employee brand and employee value proposition throughout the employee lifecycle.
- Lead New Employee Orientation sessions.
- Work with hiring departments to ensure “onboarding for success” principles for all new hires and internal transfers.
- Implement “remote-hybrid” best practices.
- Work with management to complete annual employee engagement initiatives and action plans.
- Conduct stay interviews and gain feedback regarding onboarding and offboarding success.
- Track metrics for hiring, retention, and turnover by job classifications.
- Participate on “Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Belonging” (DEIB) and “Employee Experience” committees.
- Drive Completion of separated employee exit interviews and compilation of data and recommendations in
an annual Turnover and Retention Report to management.
- Create internal employee communications that align with the agency values.
- Assist in securing Best Place to Work and Employer of Choice recognition.
- Audit HR policies, practices, and handbook.
Talent Acquisition and Orientation
- Lead talent acquisition process (sourcing, screen, interview, select, hire, onboard).
- Complete preemployment tasks – application review, background and reference checks, offer letters, office set up.
- Establish and maintain applicant data and new employee files.
- Track metrics for talent acquisition process as needed for compliance reporting.
- Assist department in completion of strategic workforce planning initiatives.
- Establish protocol for internal hiring, promotion, and transfer of staff.
Total Rewards and Well-Being
- Responsible for employee benefits maintenance.
- Provide employee benefits education session for new employees, annual open enrollment education for all employees, and educational updates to executive team.
- Work with payroll to ensure accurate employee deduction information in payroll system.
- Share updates on compensation initiatives, i.e., merit increases, PTO, holidays, and compensation surveys.
- Penfield liaison to insurance and retirement brokers and agents, to review benefits, negotiate renewals and ensure all are appropriate and in line with Penfield goals.
- Work with VPs of Administration/CFO and People and Culture to ensure compliance with all total rewards’ financial plans
HRIS and Payroll
- Department lead on HR Technology related to hiring and onboarding (ATS), insurance benefits and compensation.
- Support payroll processing for all staff and verification of changes.
- Provide backup support to Payroll Specialist for payroll submission.
- Ensure accurate and appropriate job descriptions and compensation levels of all positions.
- Complete monthly and annual reports on hiring, DEIB, retention, development and promotion, and departures.
Employee Relations and Compliance
- Conduct regular meetings with directors and vice presidents to be proactive on employee relations issues.
- Provide education and coaching to staff and supervisors on Penfield policies and procedures for people and culture success.
- Complete annual action plans and reports for Affirmative Action, ACA, Civil Rights, EEO-1, OSHA 300, and VETS 100.
- Review and update all people and culture policies, handbooks, and other materials distributed to, and posted for, employees.
- Serve as agency Equal Opportunity Coordinator.
- Maintain Penfield compliance at all times with Federal, State, and Local laws, as well as compliance for grants and awards that pertain to staff employment and well-being.
- Work with VP of People and Culture and Penfield leadership, to stay abreast of legal updates and changes.
- Provide coaching and counseling to staff and leaders on people-related issues.
- Work with departments to coordinate the various volunteer initiatives.
- Along department contacts, serve as liaison with volunteer agencies and institutions to coordinate applications, background checks, and all-Penfield calendar for onsite volunteer activities.
- Maintain records of volunteer hours, generate status reports, and provide narrative on Return on
- Investment determination.
Assist the Agency as Needed
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Active participation on Agency Committees, as requested.
- Work to maintain a personal and professional lifestyle of wellness and wellbeing.
- Support Administration, People, Program, and Development & Communication functions as needed to advance Penfield operations
Skills for Success
- Communication: Ability to convey messages appropriately and accurately (written and orally), interact well with all levels of the organization and applicants, and explain policies in an understandable way.
- Leadership: Create an environment for individual, team, and organization success. Encourage positive performance for all.
- Conflict Resolution: Ability to identify root cause of issues and suggest resolutions that are beneficial to all staff.
- Emotional Intelligence: Understand how to manage emotions of self and others, as well as access
resources as necessary.
- Teamwork: Play well with others. Work to achieve common goals and priorities
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Psychology, or related field.
- 5 plus years’ experience working in a Human Resources department with a broad understanding of all functions.
- Experience with supporting the administration of an ERP and/or HRIS systems.
- Understand/Knowledge or Employment Law and ability to apply this knowledge to work situations.
- Critical analytical skills and a detail-oriented focus.
- Management and budget experience.
- Computer literacy required: Efficiency in Microsoft office and Google Docs. Ability to learn new programs.
- High level of confidentiality and business ethics.
- Ability to work well independently or as a member of a team.
- Ability to lift or move objects of 25 lbs. or less on a daily basis.
- Provide proof of annual influenza vaccination is required.
Lead with Love – We welcome everyone with compassion and empathy; patience and kindness.
To lead with love, we look for the best in our co-workers, our families, and ourselves.
Grow with Us – We celebrate our successes and learn from our mistakes. We believe there is always a better way asking questions that challenge the status quo, improve our process and make our work easier. Grow with us allows us to focus on how we can improve ourselves and, in the process, better serve the children and families in our care.
Better Together – Together, we can do amazing things. Children and families trust us and depend on us to work as a team to meet their needs. We are better together when we maximize our strengths, the gifts of our colleagues and the commitment of our amazing partners.
Do What it Takes – We are determined, motivated and adaptable. We solve problems. We own our work, our actions and our behaviors. We step up to help our co-workers, partners and our families. We do what it takes to get the job done right and done well.
Be Present – We bring our best genuine self to everything we do. Being present allows us to bring our passion and commitment to our work to ensure the best possible outcomes for Penfield.
What we Do
● We communicate effectively, give feedback honestly and receive it with an open mind
● We use data and processes to drive decisions
● We celebrate success and learn from our mistakes
● We work to find balance in our personal and professional life
● We provide the same care and compassion to our colleagues and ourselves that we share everyday with the people we serve
Penfield Children’s Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reports to: VP People and Culture
Fair Labor Standards Status: Exempt
Salary Range: $61,516 – $92,274